Celebrity Classic Wheelchair Basketball Game
Thank you to all who attended the 12th Annual Sitrin Celebrity Classic Wheelchair Basketball Game held on Thursday, April 10th at Utica College! This family-friendly event supports Sitrin's STARS (Success Through Adaptive Recreation and Sports) Program and pits wheelchair athletes against local celebrities for two challenging and entertaining 20-minute halves!
The 2014 Celebrity lineup featured:
- SU Men's Basketball Stars C.J. Fair & Baye-Moussa Keita
- Olympic Bronze Medalist Erin Hamlin
- Ultimate Fighter Matt "The Hammer" Hamill
- Illusionists Leon Etienne and Romy Low of America's Got Talent!
- Alex Carbone, Carbone Auto Group
- Kristen Copeland, WKTV
- Steve Giuffrida, BNY Mellon
- Joseph Griffo, New York State Senator
- Gary Heenan, Utica College Men’s Hockey Coach
- David Gogola, The Hartford
- Robert Maciol, Oneida County Sheriff
- Steve McMurray, WKTV
- Joe Meher, Best Buy
- Sean "S-Dot" Morelle, KISS-FM
- Tom Neumann, First Source Federal Credit Union
- Robert Palmieri, Mayor of Utica
- Anthony Picente, Oneida County Executive
- Mark Richards, Lite 98.7
- Jim Rondenelli, WIBX
- Gary "Big Poppa" Spears, KISS-FM
- Symeon Tsoupelis, Jr., Symeon’s Greek Restaurant
- Polly Wogg, Big Frog 104
The Sitrin Celebrity Classic Wheelchair Basketball Game is made possible by Fust Charles Chambers LLC, Lois & Mike Silverman, WKTV News Channel 2, Utica College and these generous sponsors!
- Wheelchair basketball, featuring a year-round schedule of practices and scrimmage games
- Adaptive golf, currently offered at Stonebridge Golf and Country Club in New Hartford
- Adaptive paddling instruction, as well as trips to area lakes in the Adirondacks
- Competitive air rifle shooting for individuals with disabilities
- Wheelchair curling at the national, international and Paralympic level.
- Wheelchair road racing training for participants of the Boilermaker 15k Road Race Wheelchair Division, including the Boilermaker Wheelchair Challenge, which provides a customized racing wheelchair as a prize
- Nordic ski and biathlon programs with equipment and competition expenses
Last year's event raised more than $10,000 for Sitrin's STARS Program with 1,200 people in attendance!
Proceeds from this event support:
The Sitrin STARS program provides people with physical disabilities with a number of challenging athletic opportunities which enable them to compete throughout the country and around the world.
For more information about the Celebrity Classic Wheelchair Basketball Game or Sitrin's STARS Program, call (315) 737-2459.